[pianotech] Conventions ( was Pianotech? )

Jerry Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 18 06:37:50 MDT 2012

If it has been 3 months since your last tuning, something is obviously wrong
here Duaine.  How long have you been in the business now?

I would never even consider ordering 5 of something and absorbing the cost
of 4 of them just to get them one.  The customer would pay for all 5 or
receive nothing.  There are not that many player pianos techs out there.
That in itself, is a specialty service.  A service where you can charge more
than normal piano work.  One of my mentor's worked mostly on player pianos
but on others too but, whenever he worked on players, his fee doubled and
tripled and people paid for it.  Much of people NOT paying, comes from the
business owners own attitude and thinking of "they won't pay that."  You
just lost because that thought, is brought out in the way you come across to
your clients.

A tuner here, is continually apologizing for having to charge this, or for
that or........before he even presents the bill.  Consequently, he gets
complaints left and right because his attitude, well, sucks.

I have to agree with Tom. If you can't make a living in this business, and
apparently you cannot, perhaps it is time to get out and move on into
something else instead...

In the meantime, take a lot of business classes online for free.  Reading is
readily available to all of us.

Not being a smarty pants to you, just stating it from my end.  We have to
charge accordingly, NOT just for labor.  The cost of parts, plus, making it
retail, adding on the cost of shipping and handling, delivery, installation
etc. etc etc....

Jer