[pianotech] Scrapers - 96 years of Pledge

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jul 15 16:34:13 MDT 2012

On 7/15/2012 5:15 PM, Gene Nelson wrote:
> It really works nicely as stated (I keep it really sharp) but it is not a
> rigid tool - it will work good for the tight corners however but I do not
> want to modify it. I need a different scraper for the broader areas. Off to
> the hardware store.
> Gene

Forever, I've used 1" and larger Red Devil scrapers, appropriately
sharpened, for all sorts of things and have found them far more capable
and versatile than their reputation deserves. A couple of months ago, I
finally did something I had been meaning to try since day two, but never
seemed to remember when it was handy to try it. I carborized one of the
blades. It's essentially case hardening with an oxy-acetaline torch. The
hardened edge sharpens beautifully and holds an edge far better than the
original mild steel. What I already considered to be a good quality tool
became a better tool. For what it's worth.

Ron N