[pianotech] adjusting jack position

Laura Olsen ajoyfulsound at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 15:02:23 MDT 2012

Hi Marshall,
The condition you mentioned sounds a lot like a "cheating jack".  You are right to check that the jack/knuckle relationship is correct and the repetition lever height is correct. Why would the hammer flange rail be in the way?  The regulating button you're trying to adjust (if you're trying to line the back of the jack up with the back of the knuckle core) is on the jack . Are they normal knuckles or Thayer knuckles (kind of tear drop shaped)? I've had to grind my tool down to get it to fit between some letoff dowels, but if you take the hammer flange rail off you'll remove all the knuckles!??  The two tools you mention are for different purposes.  The larger one is for certain letoff buttons and other for certain drop screws.  Carefully check your repetition lever height (this is the regulating button at the back of the rep lever - also effected by spring strength).  The jack has to be able to return completely but there shouldn't be any lost motion between the top of the jack and the knuckle,  Sometimes the repetition lever spring is too weak on the jack side and won't return the jack under the knuckle..  Careful with the spring strength!  It has to do it's job, but if it's too strong you may have trouble getting the hammers to check or the hammer line to remain stable.  It can also mess up your key height if it's pushing the key too hard into the key end felt.   It's a very interactive system!
All the best.  Sounds like a great dinner.  We had ribs and salad!
Happy Fourth!
Laura Olsen