[pianotech] Cargo trailers

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sun Jul 1 11:59:34 MDT 2012

I think my trailer is 6x10. I can just fit a 9 ft piano inside, but rarely
have ocassion to transport that size. My trailer has a ramp door and a 6
foot high opening, double E-track down both sides. I've also installed a
dozen or more surface mount D rings from Harbor Freight. These are
incredibly handy for all sorts of other stuff you'll be using the trailer
for besides moving pianos.

Mine is a single axle. If you are custom ordering, you might consider making
it a dual axle. The single axle makes for a much rougher ride for the cargo.

When you get your trailer, take it to someone who knows something about
welding steel structure. Most trailers are woefully under engineered, and
adding a little steel here and there will hugely improve its load carrying
ability. Pay attention to axle mounts. Also, go ahead and weld additional
plates on the top and bottom of the tongue rails. The bottom of the ramp
frame is another place I've reinforced. It had one steel square tube across
the bottom, then vertical steel tubes butt welded to it, with very poor
welds (in fact, check all the welds you can find). I added little triangular
gussetts to overlap the joints, making it much stronger.

After 20 years and thousands of moves, mine is falling apart but we keep
welding it back together. It is used to move households, motorcycles,
vending machines, lawn mowers, and sometimes pianos. I've often thought
about getting a bigger one, but the small size is real convenient for
backing over the lawns to the front porches.

Dean

Dean W May                (812) 235-5272 voice and text

PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802

  _____