[pianotech] Grand Backcheck Geometry

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Feb 28 20:52:49 MST 2012

On 2/28/2012 9:08 PM, jim at grandpianosolutions.com wrote:
> Lets try that with a more focused example.
>
> In determining the radius of the hammer tail for a grand is 2-1/2 -3" .
> WNG uses an even tighter radius, 1.5" I think. Why? THe pivot for the
> shank is at the flange, not 1/2 or 3/4 out on the shank.
>
> This is presumably to deal with the radius described by the backcheck as
> it swings into full key dip, to avoid interference. So my question (more
> focused-ly) What is the geometrical relationship between those two arcs?
>
> Jim Ialeggio

It's not an intersecting arcs thing, it's a spring deflection and
friction thing. The 72° back check face angle provides the wedge, sprung
by the back check wire, to jam the tail to a stop. The tail radius
splits the difference between too shallow an angle (large radius) that
will grab but the height at which it ends up is very dependent on the
force of the blow. Too shallow an angle (small radius) and the depth of
catch is the same at any blow force, but it may bounce and not catch at
all. A 2.5"-3" tail radius will catch dependably and at a fairly uniform
height regardless of blow force. That's what you need. Roughing tails is
an attempt to get poorly set up back checks to work, but it doesn't. The
WN&G checks have a smaller checking surface and more wire, therefor more
spring to the wire, and little pad under the leather. I presume (don't
know for sure) that the tighter tail radius is a compensation for the
increased spring and firmer check surface that proved to work.

That's how this shade tree engineer sees it anyway.
Ron N