[pianotech] video interview Ronald Losby, President of Steinway

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Feb 15 09:31:30 MST 2012

Steinway's claim does some some validity. but then the same can be said for almost any piano.  When I was selling used piano back in St. Louis in the 1990's, I sold a 1960's Acrosonic for $1500 which was originally bought new for $350. I bought it for $700, but the customer probably could have sold it on the open market for $1000. I've had similar cases with other instruments, from Starck spinets to Knabe grands. If you wait long enough, inflation will eventually catch up to any product, as long  as it kept in good condition.

By the same token, I had a customer call me to appraise a 5 year old Steinway S for the purposes of selling it. (This was in about 1995). I told him based on current retail prices, he might be able to get $18000 for it. He had bought it new for $25,000 and was told it would appreciate in value, "just like his stock portfolio" He was mad at me that I appraised it for only $18,000 because he was somehow convinced it would be worth $30,000 after only 5 years.

Wim