[pianotech] re-gluing loose hammer felt

Wally Scherer afinetune at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 18:23:37 MST 2012

I've used clamps, vice grips, wire ties with wood glue and CA glue. Finally, the last job I did seems to be the best so far.

It was a Baldwin studio with about 20 hammers half separated. I removed the action, put it in the action cradle on a table, then proceeded one by one to apply the medium thick CA glue to both surfaces. Then I would grab it tight with vice grips (with curved jaws) to close the opening, being sure it aligned properly. Then I sprayed it with the activator and held it tight for a full minute. When I released pressure, each one held.

Afterwards, I applied a few drops of thin CA glue to the hammers that had NOT separated yet to hopefully prevent them from separating.

Whenever working with CA glue on a big project like this or applying to tuning pins, I always have a fan blowing. But sometimes my eyes still burn.

A FINE TUNE - Piano Tuning & Repairs
Wallace T. Scherer, piano technician, music educator
Serving professional and amateur musicians since 1979
5020 Canal Drive, Lake Worth, Florida, 33463-8014
Telephone: 561-432-4121
Web page: http://aftune.angelfire.com
FREE TICKETS: http://aftune.angelfire.com/freetics.html