[pianotech] blackening rusty tunning pins

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Feb 1 17:19:01 MST 2012

Wim, fyi:
f I am cleaning up an old piano in the shop, I would use the rust
onverter on the pins and afterwards for rusted strings, I use
allistol gun oil with a ScotchBright pad to clean the strings. The
ust comes off very easily, almost like it is dissolving. Obviously,
ou can only clean about half to three quarters of the string
ircumference this way, but there will remain some Ballistol residue
n the strings that will prevent further rust.

Greg

Cleaning rust off the strings is fine, for cosmetic purposes. But the main problem with rust on the strings is at the pressure points and the strings, like at the agraffs, the capo bars, the tuning pins, bridge pins, etc. That is where the string breaks. So cleaning the pins and strings is nice, but it won't prevent the string from breaking.

Wim