[pianotech] Open faced pinblock repair

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 26 09:41:28 MST 2012

Rex asked:
"I have a customer with a Bremen Console Piano that has separation of the
pinblock from the back. I have done this repair before on pianos with a full
plate, but never on one with an open pinblock. The pictures show the various
areas of the pinblock and how they relate to the plate. #5 in the high
treble shows the only place where the plate covers the pinblock for any
support.

The question is: is it possible to use the usual bolts and glue repair or
will there not be enough surface area affected on the pinblock side for
bolts to really hold? My first thought would be that the bolts, even with
large washers, would just crush the wood and not have the tension spread
over a big enough area to make the repair stable. In a full plate, the plate
helps to spread the support over a larger area.

Has anyone done this type of repair successfully?

Thank you for your replies.

Rex Roseman

PS. We are also at other options, so the question of whether the
piano is "worth" the repair is not part of this discussion, only if a repair
is possible and how to best do it."

Rex,
I would say No! Besides which, all the photos came in sideways, which makes
it difficult to "see" the "separation", (if at all). The basic design is
definately substandard. I would not attempt any repair to this, because I
could not guarantee that it would work. Sorry
That's my take on that.
Joe
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police