[pianotech] interesting request

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 23 08:40:25 MST 2012

On 12/23/2012 6:23 AM, Mike Kurta wrote:
>      I also had a request for piano wire.  This person was setting up a
> conveyer and needed an straight line in space to do it.
>      Mike Kurta

Yep. I've sold something like a dozen one pound rolls to the various
aircraft plants and machine shops through the years. I had gotten an
order of replacement wire years back that had a big rusty hand print on
each one, which I discovered months later when I opened one to use it.
That's when I switched to Mapes IG wire from Pianotek, and never again
had a problem. Better wire too. The people buying whole rolls for
machine setup and alignment and removing LOTS of windshields don't seem
to mind rusty hand prints on the coils, so they all eventually were sold.

I was cornered in a music store long ago by someone wanting wire to use
in a weed whacker. He figured it would last forever and he'd never have
to change it again. I had exactly what he wanted in the truck, but
declined to help him cripple himself by selling him any. I don't know if
he survived the week, or bled out somewhere on the south 40 looking for
that last toe but either way, I'm non complicit.
Ron N