[pianotech] filling screw holes!

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Dec 22 11:28:03 MST 2012

On 12/22/2012 11:32 AM, Richard W. Bushey wrote:

> As far as the end grain, yes, you are right.  Short of cutting plugs
> with a plug making tool (which I don't have, but ought to get), this was
> far better, in my opinion and experience for most applications than
> filling the messed up, "v"ed hole with toothpicks and/or shoepeg
> dowels.

I agree. You won't find a 7/32" plug cutter anywhere that I'm aware of,
at least on this planet, so hammer shanks or the bamboo skewers Don
suggested, are appropriate choices for the usage. After gluing them in
with a decent PVA woodworking glue and drilling the screw pilot, I'd
likely soak the end grain with a little CA or thin epoxy (most likely
CA) to add some reinforcement before driving in the screws.

Where dowels are a very poor choice for screws that will possibly be
removed occasionally for service or moving, they will work fine here.

Ron N