[pianotech] Discovery of 1902 family xmas recordings

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Dec 19 16:23:14 MST 2012

Curators at the Mueum of London have found what is thought to be the
first sound recording of a family Christmas gathering.

The Wall family made several wax cylinder recordings over a period of
years starting in 1902. They played some on the BBC TV news tonight. I
dont know if you will be able to access and play the sound recordings on
the BBC website in the USA; I hope so. Listen to the litle seven year
old boy singing "The Minstrel Boy" to his grandfatoher's piano
accompaniment in 1904. A nice sonorous piano, in tune, and listen to the
boy's high note at the end. 102 years ago!  It's very moving, to hear
the clarity of the little boy's voice in this very early recording. It
is very rare to have a recording in this period of a domestic situation.

The boy singing is the third sound file, near the bottom.