[pianotech] groupon

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Dec 19 11:34:49 MST 2012

Marshall

you said, "I don't think groupon would allow me to charge full rate if they purchased it and they wanted it done right away.  then I might get acused of bait and switch."

I don't think that would be a bait and switch. Bait and switch is when you schedule the tuning, but when you get there you tell the customer that the regular tuning she bought isn't available, but "such a deal I have for you". Explain up front that you can honor the Groupon, but that she has wait until March for an appointment. Then say that if she wants it done sooner, you can schedule her in the next week or so if she wants to pay full fare, (or even offer her a little discount). It will be the customer's call what she want to do.

I bought a horse back ride with Groupon, and was told it was only offered on certain days. Our son was here on vacation, and he had to leave before we could do the ride. So the lady at the stable offered us a discount from the regular fee, but which was more than the Groupon deal.  We got our ride, and the stable got the business. I didn't feel like that was bait and switch because it was my decision to pay extra for the horse back ride.

As far as calling customers to schedule an appointment, do you send a reminder card first, to give them a heads up that it's time to get the piano tuned?  If you call them out of the blue, they will probably say something like, "I have to check with the teacher, or my husband, or my child, or the dog" (lol). But if you send them a post card to remind them that you are going to call, the customer can check with whomever is playing the piano to see if it's needed. When I was calling customers, it increased my appointments significantly. BTW, don't be disappointed that customers won't schedule an appointment in 6 months. For most people that's too soon after they got the piano tuned. You will get more business after waiting a year. So if you've been calling them after 6 months, be sure to call them again a year after the first appointment.

Have you tried pre-scheduling appointments?  I don't call customers anymore, I now have enough pre-scheduled appointments to keep me very busy. I wrote an article about that in the April '12 Journal, I will also be teaching it at the Convention in Chicago.

You asked about using someone to drive you. Call Shawn Brock, (702-271-6330) for advice on this. He is chairman of the Visually Impaired Concerns Committee.  One suggestion is to go to a senior citizen center and put an ad on the bulletin board asking if anyone wants a job doing that.

Good Luck

Wim