[pianotech] GH-1s

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Mon Dec 17 07:30:17 MST 2012

Ron wrote:

<Finding three wrapped strings in the same unison that match well
doesn't seem likely in my experience. Bichords are more likely to match,
and be easier to tune. It's easier to mate strings to hammers with
bichords than trichords

For me, this reasoning, in and of itself, trumps other considerations,
particularly since the numbers can often be worked out with bichords. In
a contest of wills, the limits of the material always wins.

Taking this discussion past dealing with a challenging break, my own
take on small belly scaling issues, which has not been discussed as of
yet, is to take advantage of  newer lower tensile strength cores, ie
Paullelo and Pure Sound wire. They offer other possibilities as far as
maintaining appropriate BP% with poorly laid out bridges, which were not
available before.

In addition, I think the conventional string scaling of a small belly
makes tonal assumptions which are at odds with the physical limitations
of a small belly presents, and at odds with the small home venues these
pianos will populate. Using the lower tensile strength wire throughout
the bass and a fair amount of the tenor, in concert with modern
conventional wire, I shoot for a tension profile, that makes it easier
for the small belly to play to its strengths rather than accentuate the
fact that it is much smaller than its steroid chomping big brothers.

I find a disconnect between tonal assumptions appropriate for large
venue pianos and the big piano tonal assumptions which have been grafted
onto instruments whose power and intended venues are qualitatively
different than their big brothers. This disconnect, in my opinion, is
the "cause" of much small belly inadequacy...and this disconnect
continues to this day, to define and unfairly limit small belly design,
and, mind bogglingly, define upright design as well.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com