[pianotech] GH-1s

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 16 22:58:24 MST 2012

On 12/16/2012 11:13 PM, Joe Wiencek wrote:

> To Dale, David, Joe and Ron et al,
> I am trying to understand what determinations are considered when
> deciding on making a scale to include trichords or bichords?  WHen you
> (all the piano re-designers out there) describe one scale as having
> better tone than the other, or you will sometimes favor tri-chords over
> bi-chords, what are talking about?  Fundamental volume over higher
> overtones, less inharmonicity, lower break %?  What is meant by "sounds"
> better?  One piano you just "felt" like installing 3-string unisons on
> one piano that particular day and 2-string unisons the next day?  I
> understand that ultimately one decision must be made in order to finish
> the job, but how does one make these determinations? You don't have to
> answer, but I am just very curious.
>
> Joe Wiencek

I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally don't much like wrapped
trichords. It's not arbitrary and capricious. Finding three wrapped
strings in the same unison that match well doesn't seem likely in my
experience. Bichords are more likely to match, and be easier to tune.
It's easier to mate strings to hammers with bichords than trichords, and
I haven't run into an instance in which I get the opportunity to
redesign the piano, where bichords couldn't do what trichords originally
did at least as well.

I rescale everything I rebuild. If I'm doing a conventional rebuild and
can't change things to my liking, I can still revise the string scale.
In this case, if the original had wrapped trichords, I'd leave wrapped
trichords in the scale. I'd likely make changes to tensions and
impedance, to improve transitions as I can, but if I don't have
permission to change the string configuration, I don't do it.

Given permission and a budget for redesign, the wrapped trichords go,
and are replaced by bichords, along with whatever changes I make to the
bridge layout. Bichords don't inherently sound better than trichords,
but I find them less problematic. The improvement in sound isn't from
any magic characteristic of either bichords or trichords, but the
balance and smoothness of the overall scale as it matches and works with
the soundboard. If you put a redesign together and find at the end that
you have nearly no voicing to do, you made good choices in designing the
scale, the soundboard, and in choosing the hammers.
Ron N