[pianotech] GH-1s, etc.

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Dec 14 13:07:01 MST 2012

Yes, Dale is correct.  Different string makers have different solutions and
ideas.

Just to pursue this a bit further, here's a graphic illustration of what
different string scalers might come up with.  My general procedure on all
pianos is to calculate out the string scale and at least look at it.  I have
my own spread sheet for this.  On this particular Steinway B it was clear
that the upper treble dropped off considerably owing to a relatively short
speaking length at note 88.  On both of these a recapped bridge allowed me
to layout the top treble section a bit differently with a speaking length at
88 of 52 rather than 48 mm that was there on the original and a log scale in
that section.   I feel quite comfortable in the plain wire section however
in the bass I defer to others with more experience than I have yet you can
see there are differences and one does have to make an esthetic judgment at
some point and go with what sounds best no matter how it may look on paper.

The treatment at the bottom of the tenor bridge varied with a few minor
tweaks of wire, no changes to wrapped strings there.

The original scaling (#1) had a very pronounced tonal jump at note 20.  You
can see that in the graph.  The tonal transition is at best a problem there
but this original (early 20th century) Steinway scaling enhanced that
difference even more.  The more recent scaling that Steinway uses is
slightly different with lower tension at note 20, lower impedance and not
quite such a loud bark.

The bass scaling was two different proposals by different people (#2 and
#3).  I put #3 on originally and then eventually took it off because I
didn't like it settling for #2.

Just to give an example of how people can view this differently and come up
with different solutions.

The line at the bottom that is unlabeled is the BP%, btw.  You'll need to be
in html to view this and, of course, it won't reach the archives.

1.        Original Steinway B

2.        Steinway B with modified treble layout and bass rescaling

3.        Steinway B with modifed treble layout and different bass scaling

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com