[pianotech] Protection from underfloor heating.

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Dec 11 17:37:59 MST 2012

Hey, its been 35 years since my engineering classes and my brain is getting
foggy. So I did a tiny bit of research to make sure I was on the right
track. It is important to distinguish between heat and temperature.

>From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat):

In  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics> physics and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemistry> chemistry, heat is
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy> energy transferred from one body to
another by thermal interactions.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat#cite_note-1> [1]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat#cite_note-Kittel_and_Kroemer_1980-2> [2]
The transfer of energy can occur in a variety of ways, among them
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_conduction> conduction,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat#cite_note-3> [3] radiation,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat#cite_note-4> [4] and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convective_heat_transfer> convection. Heat is
not a property of a system or body, but instead is always associated with a
process of some kind, and is synonymous with heat flow and heat transfer.

Heat is the measure of kinetic energy transfer between bodies, it is not a
measure of the kinetic energy of the molecules that you describe (even
though they use the same units of energy to describe them), unless we are
going to extract some of that kinetic energy and transfer it to another
body. For a given sum of kinetic energy of moving molecules, depending on
their mass, we can calculate the temperature. We could theoretically extract
the kinetic energy from those moving molecules in the form of heat and
transfer that energy to another body. Depending on the 2nd body's mass and
specific heat we could predict what its final temperature would be for a
given infusion of heat energy.

We get heat from the sun, even though there are no molecules in space to
transfer it. Heat is pure energy transferred between bodies. Apply a given
amount of heat to low mass molecules, such as helium, and they will move
proportionally faster and thus be hotter in temperature than the same amount
of heat applied to a carbon molecule.

At least that is my understanding, and I've been wrong before.

Dean

Dean W May                (812) 235-5272 voice and text

PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802

  _____