[pianotech] Protection from underfloor heating

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Dec 11 13:01:51 MST 2012

Will, Jim, Jon, Ron etc, thank you for these responses. They are really
helping me to think about what goes on in a room with infloor radiant
heating.

Jon, I think I have to agree with the comments which point out the
DISsimilarity with radiators.  The surface area is much larger and the
surface temperature much lower.

The question of RH is surely pertinent.  It is therefore worth
mentioning again that the house is located on the west coast of Scotland
which has a mild and VERY rainy climate. In addition it is right by the
side of a large loch (see pic from front door). It is, in short, in as
damp a geographical situation as can be found in Britain.  Short of
having permanently switched on, a powerful electric dehumidifier of the
compressor type, the air in the home is NEVER going to be excessively
dry, whatever its temperature. I don't therefore see low RH as a
potential problem.

That just leaves temperature itself.  How many degrees higher is the air
temperature on or just above the surface of the floorboards, than, say
at piano key height in the room?  I do not know.  Surely not as much as,
say, 20 degrees Farenheit?  SUch that, if the air in the room were at a
comfortable 70 degres F, the floor would be at 90 degrees F?  Even if
the wooden floorboards WERE at 90F, given that the air does not have low
RH, how would temperature at the bottom of the piano damage it?  By
melting hide glue?  I take your point tho, Ron, about the moisture
content of the wood in the piano potentially changing with the seasons
as the underfloor heating goes off.

I am going to put these thoughts to the owner, who is an engineer, and
see what he makes of it all!

Ron, I enjoyed the "leak to inherit the earth" remark, and the
anecdote!  Lots of builldings, including apartment blocks and tower
blocks, were built here in the 1960s to designs that were simply
unsuited to the climate.  Almost all the flat roofs, including those on
18-storey tower blocks, had pitched roofs put on them eventually.

Best regards,

David.