[pianotech] Protection from underfloor heating?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Mon Dec 10 17:51:31 MST 2012

A few weeks ago I posted about an old overdamper piano that had sat
untuned for decades in a house the moldered unoccupied and damp for
years. The person who now owns the house, inherited from a great-aunt,
has restored the property, and wanted to keep the piano if possible,
even though he realises what grade of piano it is, partly because it was
probably in the house almost since it was built, partly because the case
finish is still very good, and partly because he played it as a child on
holiday there.

I posted asking about CA versus Epoxy, if it was decided to do anything
at all with pinblock splits.  The consensus here favoured epoxy somewhat
CA, and leaving well alone another favoured option.

I'm looking for advice now regarding the fact that the house has
underfloor heating.  It's in a remote location without mains gas, and
accessed by a road bridge that was too weak to tkae oil delivery trucks,
so when the guy was planning the renovations, he opted for electric
underfloor heating.  After doing the work, the Council decided to renew
the road bridge!

What are the implications for this old birdcage piano, of underfloor
heating, and if it was desired to insluate the base of the piano from
it, how might this best be achieved?  Is underfloor heating likely to be
more detrimental than other forms of heating?

The piano was fla by wildly different amounts over the compass, and I
tuned it to a kind of average. The customer tells me that the top has
fallen a semitone or so, but the middle three octaves are still
presentable.  I will be returning is some days to do more tuning.  (Time
for tuning was limited last time as I had to spend a lot of time on the
action).

Comments on underfloor heating appreciated!

Best regards,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk