[pianotech] Drill Press Quills - was Wager Safe T Planer or ???

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 7 12:49:23 MST 2012

Jim I said:
"Foo-foo<G>.

I challenge you to go into any shop in the country and grad hold of the
drill press quill and yank. You'll hear a lovely
clankety-clankety-clank-clank. Even right out of the box, especially if
the box comes from Asia!

Most of them nowadays have no provision for repairing sloppy quills
anyway, because the quill rides directly on the casting...no bearings or
sleeves to change out...huh..quill needs to be fixed... right...a likely
story...phew...<G>"

Jim,
Not in my shop dude! And I suspect Ron's and Del's and ??? IF you have a
decently designed and manufactured drill press, that won't be an issue. I'm
not talking about the cheap crap that most techs buy! I've been preaching
to this choir for way too long: Don't buy Cheap Tools! If you do, then you
get what you paid for: Cheap crap that won't do the job we require of it.
I'm appalled at some of the "shops" I've seen. Mine isn't the Taj Mahal of
mechanical dreams, but I can make parts w/in the tolerances required WITH
MY DRILL PRESS! Ask any who've had me do that. Yes, I have to stay on top
of it, but the end results speaks for the acccuracy available from my three
tools I use the most: 1. Drill Press 2. Band Saw 3.Veritical & Horizontal
Sanders W/o them, I could not do my job. I am constantly adjusting and
maintaining my tools. (Learned that in the US Navy, didn't forget<G>).
 I think it's time to get it together and buy that "dream" drill press
Jim.<G>  But, of course, if you wish to stumble along with what you've
got....well,....it's o.k. with me, just don't say it isn't possible because
you didn't bite the tool bullet.<G>
Best,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police