[pianotech] Mold

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 16:56:04 MST 2012

An ionizer/ozone generator may help a bit ( after all possible mechanical cleaning is done) and help with odors in the air, but if you want to deoderize a piano, you'd better be prepared to buy a serious unit. Mine ( the smallest the company sold) was $800, and I found it very effective in getting the cigarette smell out of a  Steinway "M", but only AFTER  I'd done all the mechanical cleaning I could conspire! (Including dunking the keys in Purple Power(TM)* scrubbing them, rinsing them, drying them with paper towels and leaving them on a rack with good circulation all around.) But it did "diddly" to get rid of the mouse-pee smell in another piano. (Even after the same extremely strenuous cleaning.) And remember: ozone damages the lungs. So the next time I do this,
I intend it to be in a shed far, far from the shop!

Thumpe