[pianotech] Yamaha Uprights

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 2 10:34:52 MST 2012

On 12/2/2012 11:18 AM, Dale Erwin wrote:
> No, there isn't. In the Yamahas I spoke of, contact of the jack tail to
> the letoff button can, unless it's changed in the last five or so years,
> be clearly felt as an increased resistance. This is after the damper has
> lifted, and in a piano in good regulation.
>
> Ron N
>
> Ron--I find that part you cite as less objectionable once the damper spring tension is lessened.
>
> Dale

So I'm told. The typical scenario I saw was that the old dead Gulbransen
spinet had been traded in for a new Yamaha console so little Sally,
and/or Mom could start lessons. So they segued from a pianoid keyboard
that offered nearly no resistance anywhere in the stroke to one that
did, and they didn't understand the difference. I've seen this a dozen
times at least, and my experience has been that it isn't necessary to
change the damper spring tension once the problem is explained and the
student becomes familiar with and used to the piano.
Ron N