[pianotech] Grey Market Yamaha/Kawai

David Renaud drjazzca at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 07:39:26 MDT 2012

      I have had to juice a dozen grey market yamahas with ca glue, seen a plethora of sound board cracks, seen a soundboard peeling off the rim(U3) , seen frames coming apart. I have almost never had  To deal with these same problems on a Yamaha "built for this market" I have also  Seen some intestine plastic parts, flanges, plastic damper levers etc. on Asian yamahas beyond anything I have seen on north American yamahas.

      I am of the opinion that most sites I have seen saying they are ok are connected to people  selling them. One seller of grey market yamahas here produced a sticker "certified for north American climate" they put in all these pianos. They can say anything hey want, I still end up stuck trying to fix them.......lots of them.....lots of problems.

       PLUS , Yamaha will not sell parts for them. They do want the Serial number before they will fill out an order.......good luck with that complication in the future.

                                      David Renaud
                                       RPT
                                      Ottawa, Canada.

Sent from my iPad