[pianotech] CAD software

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Wed Aug 29 07:15:16 MDT 2012

I've been using Autocad LT 97 forever, and find it essential, at least
for the way my brain works, for working action design, jig design, belly
questions, etc.  Its a great tool, especially if you are a visual
thinker. Never updated, because it was fine for my needs, even when I
was doing some pretty complex shop design and custom millwork (in the
olden days)..I just stoked up its coal fired brain, and went to work.

However, a couple of weeks ago, my hard drive blew up, and I decided it
was time for a laptop. So far so good...

Got one with Windows 7 (64 bit). Learned the new Windows interfaces and
set up preferences...kind of liking some many of the changes. But I go
to try and install Autocad LT 97, and not only is it (a 16 bit, dull
brain) a no hope-er, 2000- 2010 present major difficulties in WIndows 7
as well...figures

Explored a whole bunch of options from running a virtual PC program to
setting up a 2nd partition....all too complex, costly and fraught with
glitches.

That left me 5 options.

-purchase 2013 AutodacLT for $800...yeah right, no way...especially when
I already owned software that satisfied my needs, and 2013 would have
way too many tricks I have no interest in using

-Wipe hard drive and install XP, and Autocad LT 97...possible, but not
my fav'...

-buy, Install and interesting software developed precisely for the
Autocad/Windows 7 problem
http://shop.longbowsoftware.com/Converter-Single-User-License-Longbow-Converter-V5-SUL.htm
plus purchase and install a newer version of autocad lt, as 97 still too
dumb for this 32 bit program to use...could pull it off for about $200
by buying an old version of Autocad on ebay...maybe

-buy Turbocad for $130, which runs fine on Windows 7, reads all my old
.DWG files, but requires me to learn all new key stroke commands, which
in Autocad were completely 2nd for me nature by now...doable but
painful...but I did give it a try on a free trial version

-Found and Downloaded a free 2d software called Draftsight (not open
source) http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/overview/features/ from a
company that is also addressing the Windows 7/Autocad incompatibility
market. They are, offering the software free, but sell network licenses
and other support to networked business customers.  A big plus with
Draftsight, for me is, this software actually functions identically to
Autocad LT. It has all the same commands/key stroke commands/hot keys,
interfaces,etc, plus fully associative dimensioning which 97
lacked...YEAH!  Also, it's set up to run as 32 bit rather than
WIndows7's 64. The 32 bit runs quite a bit faster than the 64 softwares.

I'm using the Draftsight...Figured I pass these links along.

Back to the drawing board <G>

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio