[pianotech] Plate Artwork Paint

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Aug 27 13:43:12 MDT 2012

I have a piano plate that I have refinished in gold lacquer topped with clear satin lacquer. I need to have quite a bit of artwork done on the plate as per original - much like black pin-striping. In the past for lettering I've been using some paint pens from an art store with very good results However in this case the pin-striping is much more artsy, will need to be done by hand and I don't think a paint pen will even come close to meeting my needs - it will need to be done by hand with a brush.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for what type of black paint to use so that there are no compatibility problems with the nitrocellulose lacquer clear? Will simple enamel work well?

Thanks

Terry Farrell