[pianotech] action ratio

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Aug 27 06:58:40 MDT 2012

On 8/27/2012 6:54 AM, Jim Ialeggio wrote:
> Right...The regulation and especially fine regulation by feel are points
> well taken, and are how I proceed in the real world.
>
> My simple brain looked at the initial post, and interpreted it as a
> question: "Are the 2 sides of this equation, mathematically speaking,
> not regulation-ally speaking equivalent?"
>
> My take is no. I think that the formula states terms that are not
> equivalent.
>
> Does it matter...maybe not, especially if the hammers weight is kept
> under control. Its only when the shank is swinging a sledge hammer
> weight that the functionality bandwidth is driven into OCD land anyway.

And this is hardly an isolated incidence. A few years ago when the big
get lead out of the keys at any cost to lower inertia crusade passed
through the CAUT world I tried to point out that the keys wouldn't have
seven leads in them if the action ratio and hammer weight didn't demand
it for static balance. Inertia is mass times acceleration, but which
mass? Inertia down is a hammer problem, not a key weight problem because
the hammer is accelerating at over five times the key's rate. The key is
not in free fall, so whether it's being depressed faster than free fall
under earth's gravity is irrelevant as the hammer on the under end of
the lever train is being lifted against gravity at the same time. As key
acceleration increases, hammer acceleration also increases at over five
times that rate. Key inertia becomes a problem on release, when the rep
spring has to lift the key to reset the jack. So how do we set rep
spring strength? By hammer rise, which doesn't happen in actual play. So
shouldn't we be setting rep spring strength with key rise instead?
Pretty much everything we do in a piano is a workaround, an average, a
compromise, or a substitute representing the current method giving us a
result similar to what we think we want, when it's done under certain
conditions. Sure, we have to start somewhere, but we also have to
rethink our premise too, just like measuring action ratio. This is a
first rate resource for doing just that to get observations we might not
have made ourselves. There are still lots of loose ends but questions
are still being defined to try to deal with them. Is good.

Ron N