[pianotech] Varnish over Lacquer

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 26 20:44:47 MDT 2012

David asked:
"It seems that I've heard that there are no problems with varnish over
lacquer but there are with lacquer over varnish. True or untrue?"

David, that is true. However, for either situation I like to coat with
Shellac, first, to get a smooth bond. Shellac will go on just about
anything, except something that has an alcohol base. Of course old finishes
need to be "roughed" a bit to get some adhesion. And, I'd also suggest a
thorough cleaning with a compatible solvent (think "Pledge"..the dreaded
Silicone yuck!<G>) The only type of finish that should be avoided for this
type of stuff is real Oil Finishes, such as Danish Oil, Tung Oil & Linseed
Oil.
K?<G
Best,
Joe