[pianotech] varnish over lacquer

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Aug 26 19:08:41 MDT 2012

Thanks.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2012 6:04 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] varnish over lacquer

On 8/26/2012 7:49 PM, David Love wrote:
> It seems that I've heard that there are no problems with varnish over
> lacquer but there are with lacquer over varnish.  True or untrue?

Maybe not no problems, but varnish over lacquer isn't chemically reactive.
Lacquer over varnish, however, isn't a good idea. At worst, the varnish
underneath will wrinkle up and slide off in sheets as the varnish underneath
turns to goo. On average, it will separate as those mini tectonic varnish
plates migrate on the underlying goo. At best, there is no at best. Even if
you get away with it, it's really delicate and will probably attack you
later anyway after you have even more time and money invested. At least
that's the cellulose nitrate. Other formulations, particularly the
waterborne, may be more benign. I don't know about them.

Ron N