[pianotech] varnish over lacquer

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Aug 26 19:04:26 MDT 2012

On 8/26/2012 7:49 PM, David Love wrote:
> It seems that I've heard that there are no problems with varnish over
> lacquer but there are with lacquer over varnish.  True or untrue?

Maybe not no problems, but varnish over lacquer isn't chemically
reactive. Lacquer over varnish, however, isn't a good idea. At worst,
the varnish underneath will wrinkle up and slide off in sheets as the
varnish underneath turns to goo. On average, it will separate as those
mini tectonic varnish plates migrate on the underlying goo. At best,
there is no at best. Even if you get away with it, it's really delicate
and will probably attack you later anyway after you have even more time
and money invested. At least that's the cellulose nitrate. Other
formulations, particularly the waterborne, may be more benign. I don't
know about them.

Ron N