[pianotech] action ratio

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Sun Aug 26 09:32:00 MDT 2012

David L said:

<The question at hand has to do with what exactly is the after touch
spec that's used to make the formula ratio by product of the levers
equal to the blow/dip ratio as given.
(and)
<But when I input those numbers in this calculator, as you can see, then
by that formula a 5.75 AR with 45 mm of blow distance should regulate
with 8.6 mm of dip.

This illustrates the confusion I find in these formulas, if they are to
be used from a design perspective rather than as a ballpark reactive
position in the field. I feel the (blow distance-let off)/key
dip-aftertouch) part of the equation, when compared to the lever arms
part of the equation is apples to oranges.

The lever arm side of the equation looks at the lever arms as the
product of fixed ratios.  However, the blow distance ratio does not look
at blow distance and key dip as fixed ratios, but rather inputs
arbitrary letoff/aftertouch as necessary to make that side of the
equation match the fixed ratio side, as I think you've noted, David.  Or
seen another way, if you are going to use the blow distance side of the
equation as given, then the lever arm side must take into consideration
the whip's changing leverage and the shank's changing leverage during
letoff. This changing leverage presents difficulties that would require
computing complexities way beyond simple algebra.

Taken in this light, your shy 8.6mm dip could be more a result of blow
being quantified artificially.  According to the fixed leverages, blow
is not the distance between hammer at rest and the strings minus letoff,
but rather (Full unimpeded travel of the hammer with out any letoff or
strings) = Action ratio*(key dip-aftertouch).

By the way, my comment here is not that this formula doesn't empirically
work, but rather that the thinking behind it seems to be selective and
thus confusing, at least to me.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio