[pianotech] Subject: couldn't get into a piano today

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Sat Aug 25 16:49:43 MDT 2012

I have similar looking pianos on my database.  On those that have this arrangement there’s a screw orientated vertically just above the area where you’re describing the L bracket’s location.  I’m assuming this one doesn’t have that.  The only other thing I can think of is a keyhole arrangement but if you’re convinced it’s a function of the L bracket then from the bottom you must proceed.  It’s hard to believe the manufacturer would have made it that difficult.

Some pianos have hidden screws under the front of the area you’ve sent an image of.  Small little irritating stinkers that get lost easily.  To find them you have to get on your knees (gently I might add), and stick your teeth right by the cheek blocks and you’ll see it just above the cheek block about 2 inches  ........ uh 50mm  ............  especially if you wrinkle your nose so that the bifocals do their job there eh??

In meantime, Marshall, we’ll all be on the look out for that tarpicular Knabe!!!

I tuned a Knabe console today, an old one with the lyer in front of the bottom panel. I couldn't remove the top panel in order to tune it. Fortunately, I was able to tune it with the panel on as you can see in the picture but it was a tight fit. I did find an l shape metal bracket that I've often seen on pianos with three screws one which screws into the side of the piano and theother two into the front panel.