[pianotech] Buffing plastic keys

Dave Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 23 15:56:49 MDT 2012

I have a customer with a new Steinway grand. The keys have a pronounced sharp edge right at the front corners. It seems easy enough to file them smooth but I'd like to buff them up afterward. I have no experience with acrylic tops and I'm not sure what compound/wheel/speed combination will do a good job and not burn or damage what seems to be a fairly soft material. Anyone have any suggestions or should I just buy a set of tops and experiment? Thanks!

---Dave Doremus
New Orleans