[pianotech] Ivory keytop repair

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 22 18:39:24 MDT 2012

Wim said: "I have an old piano with 8 keys with little chips in the ivory.
Does anyone have experience with the acrylic keytop repairs? I used to do
this myself, but I don't have th ekt anymore. And even when I did the
repairs, I wasn't very good at it."

Wim,
I was the Beta Tester of Acrylikey when it was beeing developed. I've even
given classes on said process at the National.<G> So, what's yer problem?
Yes, it does take some practice. (suggest you get some Klunker keys and
have at it.) However, the right tools is actually more important. Instead
of the use of files to prep the chipped area, I use a 2 speed dremel w/a
conical burr to prep the chipped area. A lot more consistency is achieved
that way. 1st thing to do is WASH all of the keys with a bit of clear water
and a itty bitty bit of purex. Dry thoroughly. (be sure to wash UNDER the
lip.) Any dirt will tranlate through the Acrylikey material, as it is
somewhat opaque. Good lighting helps. If you are color blind to those
particular tones, your screwed.<G> I am color blind, but not to those tones
in particular. Follow the directions to the letter. If you have too much
powder or monamer you will get failures. If you get a failure it's no
biggie to remove it and start over. DAMHIK.<G> Be as anal on the process as
you are with tuning, etc. and you should be o.k. Please feel free to
contact me for any difficulty thangs. One item of import. Do not buff until
it has set up for AT LEAST 24 hours. (I don't care what the hype says!<G>)
Also, low speed buffing is preferred. Many times I do not buff, but rather
smooth down to the 2000 grit level of the "emery boards" Get some full
length "Emery Boards" From places like "The Dollar Store" or Rite Aid. The
"boards" you need are the ones with 4 different grits. Do not use the
coursest on! just the other three.<G> The "Polishing" one is usually aroun
1500-2000 grit and will actually buff the key to a nice satin that will
match the other keys better w/o buffing the whole lot. Hope that helps.
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police