[pianotech] High Broadwood

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Aug 7 16:35:54 MDT 2012

I travelled a distance to a new client today. They acquired a Broadwood
upright that had been stored in a garage. Evidently there had been a
leak because a group of keys in octave 5 were wet and the ivory heads
off, and surrounding keys damp and discoloured.  Shame that it got put
in a garage as it was a decent piano, from about 1902 and the case in
good condition. Action centres sluggish from damp.  Anyway, managed to
get it playable and tunable.  I was intrigued to find a notice inside,
presumably original, saying that it was tuned to C 540.

The action was interesting too, and I wish i had remembered my camera to
get decent pics (these are with my phone).  Funny bridle tapes, double
thickness of braid, with a knot in the middle.

The plate looks very modern.

Does anyone know why Broadwood tried making pianos at C 540 ? (Overall,
it was about 17 centts below A440 and I left it there this time around).

Best regards,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk