[pianotech] agraffes

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Aug 6 11:44:39 MDT 2012

On 8/6/2012 9:11 AM, jim at grandpianosolutions.com wrote:
> Is there a difference in quality between pianotek's and Schaff's
> agraffes, or are they simply a vanilla commodity?

They may likely be the same, but I've had enough surreal experiences
with Schaff over agraffes that I get them from Pianotek.

> Also, with the wide vs narrow bi-chord agraffes, what does the spacing
> width achieve?

As was said, to accommodate damper width. When to switch? I switch to
wide when the resulting space between string wraps at that point is
about the same as that of the highest bichord on the bass bridge. The
spacing difference looks to be somewhere about 0.020"-0.025", so call it
0.020", for convenience though 0.005" anywhere in the vicinity couldn't
possibly make any real difference. Using the arbitrary 0.02", and an
overall wrap diameter of the top bass bichord, of, say, 0.088", I'd
switch to wide bichords at a wrap diameter of around 0.108" or the next
one down scale. Is that the right way to do it? No, of course not, but
it's not obviously wrong in my experience and it's a simple repeatable
semi-logical system that will do for me until some compelling fact based
argument comes along to supersede it.

Ron N