[pianotech] Noise in bass strings

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Mon Aug 6 03:41:28 MDT 2012

I didn't know the "Erard" bit. When I order strings from John Delacour I
specify "whipped ends" if required. Perhaps Erard invented the method.
On the Piano Strings page of my website
http://www.davidboyce.co.uk/piano-strings.php there are a couple of pics
at the top of the page showing whipped ends on both old and new strings.

The difference in length is cetainly a bit odd, Terry. How do they
compare at the bottom end? If, overall, the wound length is different,
that would obviously be likely to give rise to odd beats.  And even if
the wwinding was the same length, but one string a bit further down, so
that the windings end up nearer the bridge, the hammer then effectivel
has a different striking point on the wound length and that too could
surely give rise to an effect.

Is the effect bad enough, and the piano good enough, to warrant
replacing those four strings?

Best regards,

David.

Terry...here is a pic posted by John Delacour a while back...he calls
this an Erard whip.