[pianotech] Hammer Felt discussion

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Aug 5 20:48:43 MDT 2012

On one hand I see the issue as a conundrum for piano and hammer
manufacturers.  The choice is soft, in which case it may have to be
hardened, or harder.  Why not just right?  Difficult to know what that is.
We would all like them just right, but what is that?  If a hammer or piano
manufacturer wants to insure that hardeners aren't used on their hammers
(understandable as hardeners are anathema to many) then the only choice is
to target something somewhat harder than is needed to insure that the
voicing procedure only goes in one direction.  Trying to hit a target just
slightly above the lowest acceptable level is tricky and subjective.  So
many hammer makers play it "safe" and hit a target higher than that, and
higher than many people want or higher than many pianos need.

In the case of harder hammers, however, the issue is less about the starting
density than it is about responsiveness of the hammer to needle voicing
procedures.  A hammer that maintains a good amount of tension in the felt
through the manufacturing process and is not too dense will respond to
needle voicing and can be manipulated adequately.

But the greater issue is matching the hammer density to the scale and belly.
Soft hammers will not work on every piano just as harder hammers won't work
on every piano.  A basic understanding of how that matching needs to be done
will save a lot of grief that comes with trying to manipulate a hammer into
something that is wasn't designed to be.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com