[pianotech] Hammer Felt discussion

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Aug 5 15:58:04 MDT 2012

Dear Ann,

      Thank you for your perspective.  You couldn't be closer to the truth.
They were perfect.  Don't you think that in an artistic sense, the demise of
global tone quality was the demise created with the loss of the soft hammer?
I think your call to arms is admirable.  You can be proud of that.

      Sincerely,  Brent Fischer

Something I can almost agree with you on. The soft or less hard hammer is not lost. It lives on in  my work (and in that of many) and is still made at Ronsen piano hammer in the Catskills just in case you missed that.

Dale

Yes, so is this the felt that Andrew Anderson is getting when he
orders " Euro voicing "  instead of  the " American "  with the Abel Naturals?

Brent

No, not the same felt. I don't know what the Abel felt is and they tend to keep those things a secret.

Ronsen piano hammer co. and Renner usa/Renner Germany have exclusive Weickert special felt distribution rights currently, as  Ray Negron , myself & Rick Baldassin, worked on this project and contributed as colleagues several years to the R & D for Jack Brand. Jack is the owner of the Wurzen felt co. In Germany, formerly the J.D.Weickert co.

 Jack is a felt master, wizard, guru and the world of piano techs. at large don't have any idea how fortunate we are to have some one like him developing fantastic products for us...yet.
 The Weickert special felt has a distinctive marker in the bass end hammers.
 It is a solitary gray or black semi circle. This way,  no secrets, you know what felt you're getting.

    The Ronsen  Weickert and Renner blue point (Weickert felt) products are in our opinion complimentary products.

 I suspect one of the felts Abel uses is the Wurzen AA felt, another Wurzen product. This is also marked but, by two grayish circles.

The source of the  Abel  "Natural felt" is a closely gaurded secret.
 The Abels are great people and fierce competitors. IMO they are currently running to catch up as well as keep their own market edge.
 Its wonderful to have so many choices in hammers. I have been pounding the drum about how horrible hard hammers are for 25 years now and finally manufacturers are listening and producing what we want and what musicians have been searching for.
Its a great time to be a piano tech.

Dale Erwin
Whistling a happy tune