[pianotech] Sorry I asked?

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Fri Aug 3 12:22:27 MDT 2012

Hi Mark:

I used to have a customer with a 42" Haddorff console, not a bad piano.

Here's something I found on the Haddorff  vertichord, however:

Haddorf Piano Co. introduced the 'Vertichord' in 1935, about the same time
that Winter & Co. came out with its 'Musette'. Although described by Roell
in The Piano in America, 1890-1940. as 39" consoles, the ones I have seen
have all been 36" drop-action spinets. They were made to be more appealing
to buyers than the old upright box, the market for which had drastically
declined after 1930. As the name suggests, the 'Vertichord" was straight
strung, a serious design error in such a short-scaled piano. Even a hundred
years or more before that it was realized that such short pianinos required
diagonal stringing. Aside from that, the 'Verichords' I have encountered
have had major problems with glue failures and other structural deficits. It
certainly can be repaired if you can find someone willing to work on it.
Realize that it is never going to be worth anything no matter how much you
spend on it. If someone were intent on establishing a museum of American
pianos they might well find a 'Vertichord' of some historical interest.
Otherwise, definately not.

Tom Tuner

This is from Pianoworld in about 2008.

You should probably lower your expectations to the present level of the
pitch.

Will