[pianotech] Rebuilding Criteria

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 2 00:11:41 MDT 2012

William said:
"..I think the problem with defining these terms is that they are so
variable
from piano to piano - it just depends upon what the piano needs. For
example, I use the following definitions (which I believer are from the
Piano Book):

*Repair*: Fixing isolated or individual problems that a piano may have -
e.g. a broken hammer shank, a non-functioning key.

*Restoring/Reconditioning*: Improving the overall quality of a piano by
cleaning, lubricating, resurfacing, or replacing worn felts or leathers,
but not replacing parts, per se.

*Rebuilding*: Improving the overall quality of a piano including new parts.
Rebuilding may or may not involve refinishing the case.

*Remanufacturing*: Improving the overall quality of a piano, including new
parts, soundboard, refinishing the case, and possibly making design
changes."

William,
The above "definitions are just a bit sparse, but sorta tell the tale. The
one that I really have the problem with is the #2,
"Restoring/Reconditioning". In reality, (or at least MY reality), RESTORING
aka RESTORATION is a whole different thing. I equate that with the Museum
types that go through all sorts of things to be absolutely, anally, exact
in their choices of "repair" in order to maintain the "authenticity" of the
supposed one of a kind instrument. Of course, after which, the "instrument"
will never be tuned or played, just dusted and gawked at. (sigh!)
The other part of #2, Reconditioning, is the term that I use a lot. One
thing in the "definition" that is missing in that category is
Regulation/Adjustment of the action and other moving parts to bring them to
an adequate level of playing ability. Matter of fact that phrase is missing
in #3 & #4 as well. It's needed and each should specify the level of
playing ability in relation to the type of piano, (i.e. it's
capacity/capability for it's basic design.)
More of my take <G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police