[pianotech] What??!

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 1 23:56:51 MDT 2012

Dean said:
"What makes it even more meaningless is the customer's perception. Replace
some bridal straps and damper felt and a couple years later the customer
refers to it as the time I rebuilt the inside."

Dean,
That, most definately is a big part of the problem. I think we can have an
impact on that, if each of us, that does the minor repair/reconditioning
takes the time to, emphatically proclaim to the client: "This is just
repaired. I did not "rebuild" your piano." And, then, say something like:
"It works for now, but it will need further work to bring it up to a good
level of condition." i.e. client/tech communication is important. Other
areas that are trying to do that is the Phillip Gurlick Book and many of
the pamphlets that come from PTG. Also, the PTG website is an excellent
area of customer education. I don't know how many hits it gets every day,
but it must be quite a few, because I get referrals from it and so do many
of my compatriots in the Portland Chapter.<G>
That's my take on that,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police