[pianotech] Rebuilding criteria (yeah, I changed the subject.<G>)

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Wed Aug 1 20:43:14 MDT 2012

I think the problem with defining these terms is that they are so variable
from piano to piano - it just depends upon what the piano needs.  For
example, I use the following definitions (which I believer are from the
Piano Book):

*Repair*: Fixing isolated or individual problems that a piano may have -
e.g. a broken hammer shank, a non-functioning key.

*Restoring/Reconditioning*: Improving the overall quality of a piano by
cleaning, lubricating, resurfacing, or replacing worn felts or leathers,
but not replacing parts, per se.

*Rebuilding*: Improving the overall quality of a piano including new parts.
Rebuilding may or may not involve refinishing the case.

*Remanufacturing*: Improving the overall quality of a piano, including new
parts, soundboard, refinishing the case, and possibly making design changes.

You'll note, for example, the lack of reference to soundboard replacement
in the rebuilding definition.  I don't think a soundboard has to be
replaced for a piano to be considered fully (totally, completely,
whateverly) rebuilt - others may disagree.  However, in some cases, the
soundboard absolutely has to be replaced in order to consider an instrument
rebuilt.  It just depends.  So I prefer to define these terms by virtue of
the general process, the approach, rather than a specific list of items
that must be included in order to consider the piano "rebuilt" (or
remanufactured, or restored).

My 2 cents,
William R. Monroe