[pianotech] Rebuilding Criteria - was What??!

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 1 13:10:35 MDT 2012

David said:
"Plus I think the issue with respect to this particular discussion is
deciding when it's worth rebuilding and the associated costs for certain
procedures versus buying new. Unless we're clear on what exactly rebuilding
means and entails it's pretty hard to make that determination. Clearly it
means different things to different people."

David, et al,
Ah, now we're getting down to the crux of the problem, which, is the real
problem. When I get some time I will give a full, detailed list of what
Idid to that particular piano, along with some introspect of other things
that should have been considered, etc. K?<G>
When I was in a different state of sanity and was involved with the
political aspects of PTG, I tried, in vain, to get the ball rolling towards
some kind of standardized criteria for rebuilding and making the first step
in establishing a "test center" facility at the Home Office. I was shouted
down. 'Nough said about that, as it 's a dead issue, as far as PTG is
concerned,...I think. Wish it weren't.
 One of the problems is that several Rebuilders were contacted and asked to
give their idea(s) of the various phases of
rebuilding/Remanufacturing/Restoration. NONE would even bother to respond!
That's my take on that.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police