[pianotech] Stealth temperaments

Bill Fritz pianofritz50 at aol.com
Mon Apr 30 10:32:17 MDT 2012

As the old cereal commercial said "Try it, you'll like it!".

I have a piano teacher who has 2 grands side by side.  As an experiment & for her students' education, we tuned one at ET and the other the Vallotti-Young.  (I use an ETD, so that would eliminate any "prejudice" on my part.)  http://www.rollingball.com/images/HT5.htm  http://www.microtonal-synthesis.com/scale_vallotti_young.html  http://www.kylegann.com/histune.html

After 3 months, about half of her students liked the V-Y temperament better.  They claimed it was easier to play their pieces (Mozart, Chopin, etc) on the V-Y piano.  There was even a comment that the runs were easier.  (The other half didn't seem to care either way.  No one hated the V-Y.)

Our next experiment will be when there's a Music Teachers' meeting at this lady's house... and we'll tune the differences again, and have them play their favorite pieces.

It's fun to experiment...   Bill Fritz, StLouis