[pianotech] Smart Phones - Was QR Codes

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 28 12:10:25 MDT 2012

Al said: "I understand your point, but I don't walk around talking on by
phone via a bluetooth ear piece, nor do I use it to play games. It's
strictly business for me. All my appointments, all my contacts with all the
service I have ever performed on their pianos is in there. Last time it was
tuned, temp and humidity, etc. I have the Piano Pro app from Piano life
saver system, which includes serial number lookup, PLS System Schematic
Diagrams, Electronic Fork and Wire Size Calculator. I also have a credit
card reader, so I can accept credit cards and an invoice program, so I can
email an invoice if I need to. I have a GPS so I can find the best way from
one customer to the next. I have both Excel and Word programs. It has a
camera, so I can take photos of pianos for insurance estimates. Etc, etc,
etc. I can go on and on about the usefulness of a smart phone for my
business. It's like any good tool, you've got to know how to use it. Yes,
it can be a toy, but it is also a great business
tool.

Oh, I forgot, I can make a phone call :~)"

Al,
All well and good. However, until the damned thing crashes and burns and
you lose ALL of that precious info, you haven't lived! I'm not about to
trust some big Corp. to store my data! Scary stuff, in my opinion. All the
apps you use are mosty, for me useful. I don't do Credit Cards,...EVER! I
know it's what a lot of the piano client's world is, but I'm of the opinion
that if you don't have the CASH, don't call me! I'm not about to support
those blood sucking Credit Card Companies, by allowing them to extract
their pound of flesh, every time I utilize their services(?)! It's a stupid
system that all the younger/impatient folks choose to use. The damned
Social Security System is trying to force the use for Seniors! What the
hell is that? Not in my world, thank you. All this Electronic stuff is so
frought with problems it's unimaginable the degree of RISK that truly
exists. So, for me, (and Nossaman, I suspect<G), I'll pass on all the
"goodies" of the Smart Phones. (Kinda like the "Smart Car"....works just
fine until I run into the little shit with my Suburban!<G>)
That's my Take on that,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police