[pianotech] Blah, Blah, Blah,....Estate Sale

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Apr 23 09:25:26 MDT 2012

On 4/23/2012 10:03 AM, jim at grandpianosolutions.com wrote:

> These #'s are taken off of a current victim in the shop, late 1860's
> miller square. I've measure the entire scale. Unison speaking lengths
> are in fact:
>
> wound bichords- 10-15mm differential
>
> plain wire bichords tenor- though A3 appox 20mm
>
> bichords though A4 approx 10mm
>
> bichords to A5 starts to reduce to 6-8mm
>
> last section bichords more in the 2-3mm department

Bridges beveled instead of notched?

> I think its a reasonable question, and one asked not from a judgmental
> standpoint, but from a "how will this efffect the overall sound of the
> instrument. Maybe it will not have a big effect on the unisons...I will
> see for my self in a bit, but was itchy to know what one realistically
> can expect.

It'll be untunable, that's what, like the more modern and prestigious
names that did something similar in the capo sections to try to generate
more noise and "sparkle" than the soundboard design was capable of. If
the bridges are beveled, it's probably being cheap and fast. If they're
notched, it's probably insanity.

There's a nice solid workbench in there somewhere.
Ron N