[pianotech] FW: FUMC Estate Sale - Piano

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sun Apr 22 13:24:22 MDT 2012

In my opinion, and from what I've been told, square pianos were never very good, even when they were brand news. (Maybe that's why they stopped making them after 40 years of production). I've restored a few, even Steinway squares, and none of them turned out to be what I would call great instruments.  They play, and with care, can be enjoyed as a musical instrument, but even a properly restored square isn't as good as a modern piano. If the minister is going to spend any money on a piano, that it would be much more practical to spend it on a newer used piano.

I don't know where the church got the estimated values on this piano, but I would suspect it was done by an antique dealer. Perhaps as an antique piece of furniture, the piano might be worth $3000, but as a musical instrument, it's not worth more than a couple of hundred. And after spending money to restore it, it might be worth $5,000. A far cry from the anticipated $25,000.

The piano store I work for recently sold a Steinway square in reasonably good condition for $3500.

About 20 years ago I was asked to look at a square for evaluation and possible repairs. A young man had purchased it from his family's estate in the Ozarks for $5000 and moved to it St. Louis. He took out a loan to pay for it, because he was told it would be worth $25,000 with just a few thousand dollars worth of repairs. He almost cried when I told him the piano was worth maybe a couple of hundred, and that even after spending $5000, it might be worth about $2000.

A customer here in Hawaii spent $10,000 to restore a Decker square. She now thinks it's worth $25,000 and wants to use it as trade to get a restored Queen Ann grand. She's still looking for a dealer who'll make a deal with her.

Wim