[pianotech] A new use for piano benches

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Thu Apr 19 11:43:17 MDT 2012

I've found a new use for piano benches...

I had a lot of work on a 1967 Wurlitzer console.  It had a couple of broken strings, I repinned a few flanges, reshaped the hammers, etc.  While putting the action back in, I was trying to get the dowels for the pedals to seat in their respective spots on the action.

So here I am, flat on my back on the carpet under the the piano with my hand reaching under to fit the dowel, when I look to my left and I see that the wife has just let their Pit-bull into the house.  I'm looking at him from about 20 feet away through the legs of the piano bench when he decides I must be an intruder.

He starts growling and snarling and running towards me. I'm sure the surge of adrenaline helped me to get off my back and on my feet quicker than I have in probably 20 years! I grabbed the legs of the piano bench on the way up and tilted the seat bottom directly at the dog, creating a nice wooden barrier between me and the salivating and barking Pitbull.  The owners came running out and it took them several tense minutes (seconds?) to get him under control and back outside.

And I didn't even get a tip...  ;-)

Regards,

Rob McCall

McCall Piano Service, LLC