[pianotech] Question about 19 1/2 wire

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Apr 13 08:05:19 MDT 2012

On 4/12/2012 2:26 PM, Al Guecia/Allied PianoCraft wrote:
> I am restringing a piano that calls for 19 1/2 wire (2 note - 6 strings)
> near the tenor break after 4 notes (8 strings) that are wound. I find
> that I am out of 19 1/2 (.044), so I borrowed some wire for another
> tech, that wasn't tagged. I measured it and it reads (.0435). Might be
> metric? What do you think, use it or wait for the 19 1/2, .044?I don't
> think .005 will make mush of a difference, but it is at the break and
> that causes me to worry. I hate thumpy sounding wire strings at the break.

Al,
There will always be people who will recoil in absolute horror that
someone would even consider using a wire size that isn't precisely
identical to what was there originally, whether what was there
originally was measured to anywhere near this level of accurately or
not. If you were to bother to check, as metric/english charts have been
provided on this list at least a dozen times since you've been here and
you must surely have saved one, you would find that #20 metric is closer
than #19 1/2. Or you could ORDER what you want and wait a couple of days
to get  your EXACT heart's desire. But everyone demands instant
gratification without inconvenience, let alone actual work or waiting,
right?

Will what you have work? Yes. Will it be detectably different than the
EXACT match. No, at least not by anyone in a blind test. Will the low
tenor break be thumpy? If it was before restringing, YES, certainly! The
reason as I and others who have bothered to learn something about
scaling have said on this list repeatedly is that the low tenor string
lengths are too short for the required frequency and the break% of the
wires too low. We have also repeatedly said that changing wire sizes
will NOT fix this, as the break% does NOT realistically change with wire
gauge changes. Fixing it requires changing bridges (therefore speaking
lengths), and wishing otherwise won't change the reality.

Regarding rescaling. As we've also said repeatedly on list, the big
benefits to rescaling are in the wrapped strings, where the broader
choice of wrap and core gives some control of the outcome. Relatively
very little in the way of improvement is possible in the plain wire
without changing speaking lengths. Anyone posting scaling questions to
the list - ever - needs to learn something about what they are doing
instead of soliciting one answer to one question and going back to where
they were.

That's it, the same old answers recycled yet again. No need to save it
though. Someone will ask the same thing again in a few weeks and we'll
start from scratch once more.

Ron N