[pianotech] Hammer stapling-tone builders corner

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Apr 12 17:16:46 MDT 2012

There are other theories about the function of the staple. It's pretty clear that the glue itself does an adequate job of holding the felt to the molding and the staple doesn't contribute much. But the staple may contribute to maintaining a certain amount of tension in the hammer overall and over time.

Note how the staple tends to embed itself in the felt over time. That expansion of the felt in the lower part of the hammer and the restriction by certain types of heavier staples may not allow a change in the tension in the lower part of the hammer and as a consequence in the upper part. Can't say I know for sure but some, including Brooks, I believe, make that argument.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com
(sent from bb)